Thursday, April 29, 2010

Work Appropriate Dresses

My next assignment was to find affordable work dresses. This proved to be a bit of a challenge since most dresses that are appropriate for work are usually black sheaths. As you can see, there is an abundance of black sheath dresses. However, I was able to find a good selection of dresses that are fun, but also respectable. Take a look:


Found: neimanmarcus.com

Designer: Ellie Tahari

Price: $178

This dress is great because it has a fun pattern that doesn't overpower the dress. You can throw a great navy blazer on top or a yellow cardigan and you would exude class and maturity. I'd pair these with a nude pump.



Found: bluefly.com

Designer: T-bags

Price: $132

The ruffles and the color of this dress make it interesting, but the fact that its a solid makes it wearable in a business setting. I'm a fan of the long sleeves also because I'm always cold at work.



Found: bluefly.com

Designer: Ellie Tahari

Price: $149

This is a classic sheath, but the vibrant color makes it stand out. This is definitely a basic must-have.




Found: bluefly.com

Designer: Rachel Pally

Price: $116

Less on the dressy side, but I think this dress is still doable for work. It definitely looks comfortable and the length is good. If you find the v-neck too plunging for work then throw on a tank underneath.





Found: neimanmarcus.com

Designer: Milly

Price: $187

A basic brown sheath is a necessary basic for any working gal.







Found: bloomingdales.com

Designer: MICHAEL Michael Kors

Price: $ 83

The first of the black sheaths... this one comes with a thick belt and its seems a little more roomy than the classic sheath.





Found: bluefly.com

Designer: Max and Cleo

Price: $79

As this one resembles the one above, I was going to delete it, but I just think its a nice colder weather dress so I'm giving you the option to decide.






Found: bloomingdales.com

Designer: Maria Bianca Nero

Price: $168

THE classic sheath... classy with a proper, structured fit. Just throw on some pearls and this can double as a "meet the in-laws" dress.









Found: bluefly.com

Designer: Marc New York

Price: $117

I love the full skirt on this dress. If you're like me and look inappropriate at times because of the size of your booty, then this silhouette is for you.





Found: bluefly.com

Designer: Marc New York

Price: $99

This one is the dress above's more modest cousin - a little longer, thicker material and with a higher neckline.



Found: bluefly.com

Designer: Marc New York

Price: $95

I love the neckline and the sleeves on this one - t-shirt structure, but still business appropriate.




Found: bananarepublic.com


Designer: Banana Republic

Price: $130

Another basic classic sheath... love the accessorizing with the necklace.









Found: bluefly.com

Designer: Marc New York

Price: $95

This dress is definitely very versatile. Wear it with a blazer or cardi for work and then go out on the town for drinks. Its not too stuffy, but totally work appropriate.



Found: bloomdingdales.com

Designer: Lauren by Ralph Lauren

Price: $86

A colorful wrap dress for a decent price.








Found: nordstrom.com

Designer: Lauren by Ralph Lauren

Price: $77

I own a dress similar to this in a purple color. I didn't buy it for work, but when I did, I got loads of compliments.







Found: jcrew.com

Designer: jcrew

Price: $150

Usually I am not really into buying patterns, but this one is very subtle. The black and white combo also tones it down some. This is a really great work dress and would look great with a colorful cardi.




Found: jcrew.com

Designer: jcrew

Price: $150

Not only do I love the colors on this one, but the detail along the neckline makes it stand out. I also love the "looks like separates, but is actually a dress" look too.




Found: bluefly.com

Designer: JB Julie Brown

Price: $125

This may not be appropriate for everyone's workplace, but I thought it was definitely adorable. I love that the pattern makes it stand out, but its not too over-powering.




Found: bluefly.com

Designer: Jay Godfrey

Price: $229

Yeah this may more appropriate for a wedding, but I LOVE it. I love the color, the length, the flutter sleeves... maybe this is a work DINNER type of dress? Either way, enjoy.



Found: bloomingdales.com

Designer: Diane Von Furstenburg

Price: $292

Okay, I know its a little on the pricey side, but its a DVF dress! Every girl needs a DVF wrap dress. They are the quintessential "work dress" especially with the collared ones.






Found: bloomingdales.com

Designer: Calvin Klien

Price: $77

This is one is very cute for the office. It has a great pattern that works and the whole "separates, but not separates" type of dress. I'm in.





Found: bananarepublic.com

Designer: Banana Republic

Price: $49-59

This is a great basic grey sheath with sleeves with a more fitted silhouette.









Found: bananarepublic.com

Designer: Banana Republic

Price: $90

A great basic black wrap dress. This look exudes smart and sexy at the same time. I like it.









Found: bluefly.com

Designer: BCBG

Price:$141

This is more of a wannabe work dress. I posted it because I like it, but the neckline may be too low and the hemline too short for some offices.






Found: nordstrom.com

Designer: BCBG

Price: $117

This dress has a great color combo, appropriate for work, and cute to boot!









Found: bluefly.com

Designer: ABS

Price: $123

I love the color and everything else about this dress. Its great.




Found: nordstrom.com

Designer: Rebecca Taylor

Price: $209

If I could pick one designer to wear for the rest of my life, it would probably be Rebecca Taylor. She always makes the most delicate and feminine pieces. This one is no exception.









Found: bananarepublic.com

Designer: Banana Republic

Price: $59


As I said, wrap dresses are great for work. This one is on the shorter size, but this model is also probably 6'1. I especially like how they paired this dress with gray tights and pumps.







Found: bananarepublic.com

Designer: Banana Republic

Price: $59

Similar to the other Banana grey sheath, but this one is sleeveless and looks like it has a looser fit around the hips.

1 comment:

  1. I love the selection of work dresses - so versatile - keep them coming. I am also trying to find a pair of neutral pumps - gray or beige. Please help. thanks

    ReplyDelete